Thursday, January 28, 2010

Financial stuff

For years we have used Microsoft Money to track our finances. When we got our new computer, I found out that they are discontinuing Microsoft Money and that I would need to used a different program. After a litter research, and taking the path of least resistance, I bought Quicken.

There were a few hitches when I transferred our data, but for the most part it went ok. That was until I tried to figure out how much we owed for taxes on stock we sold. There are a couple of really nasty design flaws in the program. If you look at a stock transfer that you have previously entered, whatever you do don't hit enter again. (Back out by hitting cancel or escape.) While you will see only one transaction on the original account, you will find duplicate transactions on the receiving account.

After spending two days, starting from the scratch twice, entering some data 4 or more times before I got it to work, and finally getting most things to reconcile, I have decided that I HATE Quicken.

However, I don't want to start over with a new software program. I called Henry and warned him about the huge problem with how Quicken handles stock, and advised him that if I die he is to take all our financial statements to an accountant. It is just not worth his time trying to figure it out.

No comments: